Tuesday, March 24, 2015

A Hodgepodge Following Radio Silence



I've come to realize that a long period of 'radio silence' after a big announcement of cancer does not go over well. For those who see me around the community, they know I am okay. But the others who rely on my blog updates? I have received more than one inquiry asking if I'm alright.

So first, I'm sorry for neglecting the ole blog. Second, no worries ... I am alive and alright. I'm actually doing awesome. Like anything else, when you get out of the habit and overwhelmed with too many irons in the fire, you fall off the wagon. I've mixing far too many metaphors, I know. Just bear with me.

What have you missed? Not a whole heck of a lot. Valentines Day, bitter cold, snow days. My slow progression on the book. The typical winter blues. I read my favorite bloggers in California and Florida and I ask myself "WHY am I in Jersey?!?!" It's a rhetorical question, of course. I'm here, and that's that. Snow, cold and all.



Soccer just started despite snow on the first day of spring. The three little ones have been braving the fierce cold on the windy fields, when they aren't snow covered or soaking wet. The seasons want to turn so badly, but they just aren't ready yet. We're waiting, peeking at the garden to see the first hints of crocuses and dandilions. Waiting, eyeing up the shorts stuffed away in the bottom drawer.




 Spring means flowers and pedicures. It means CB turning 20 and a mama in disbelief. It means summer is right around the corner which is my favorite time of year... kids off of school and up in my face and all.


Most of Spring, for me, will be spent in Radiation Therapy. I started today, actually. Day one.
I had two planning session, 9 tattoos (seriously, they tattoo little dots the size of freckles on you), and today was the first day of 6-week, Monday through Friday therapy. Fun times.

Today, I began which makes me one step closer to finishing. Twenty-nine days left. Not that anyone is counting, but me.

I'm thankful for my friend, Jenn, who invited herself along with me on my first official day and sat in the waiting room for an hour and fifteen minutes (it took extra long due to some last minute adjustments prior to starting). I'm thankful for my father-in-law who sat on the soccer field with Pink until 8:00 pm tonight so I didn't have to freeze with the three other girls. I'm thankful that I'm 29 days closer to closing this chapter. I'm thankful that even though the snow just melted in Jersey and the temperatures are still in the 40s, my boob will be sunburned which might make me fooled into thinking summer is almost here.



This weekend, before embarking on the final leg of my treatment I got to do something really amazing with my family. We spent Saturday night volunteering with Hearts United Against Cancer at their big Care and Comfort Bundle Event.

Hearts United Against Cancer is a non-proft organization that delivers Care & Comfort Bundles to men, women and children going through treatment for any and all types of cancer. They deliver these care packages to hospitals in our tri-state area and to individual homes, bringing cheer and well wishes to each Cancer Hero.  They will also ship the personalized baskets anywhere in the U.S. 



I was a recipient of one of their amazing personalized baskets right after my surgery. A friend, who is also a Board Member, nominated me. Can I tell you, I didn't cry when I got my diagnosis. I didn't cry during the invasive tests or when I told my husband or told my kids. But, I cried when I received this touching gift. The card, made by a child volunteer, with a handwritten note inside and all the personalized items including a gorgeous crocheted blanket just made me feel so loved and encouraged. I cannot explain the positive effect it had on me. The first thing I thought was that I wanted to pay it forward.


So, we joined over a hundred volunteers of all ages last Saturday night and it was the best Saturday night I've had in a long time. We made no sew blankets and stuffed homemade pillows, made rainbow loom bracelets and crafted bookmarks. We assembled care and comfort bundles for delivery to local hospitals and we decorated cards. All in all that night, we made 272 care and comfort bags, 351 craft items, 208 note cards, 130 homemade pillows and 25 large homemade blankets. I can't wait to become more involved with this organization!

If you know a Cancer Hero anywhere in the U.S. (defined as anyone actively in treatment for any type of cancer), you can visit the Hearts United Against Cancer website and fill out a simple form for a personalized care and comfort bundle delivery! Want to help? You can make no sew or crocheted blankets if you are crafty by joining the blanket brigade HERE. This is a great girl scout project, by the way. Please visit their website if you want to learn more about donating your time, treasures or talents.

You can follow Hearts United Against Cancer on Facebook or visit their website for more info!

1 comment:

Julie said...

Miss you. Thinking of you every day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails