Today is Purple Day for Epilepsy Awareness.
So here are some things I'd like to share:
* There are TWICE as many people living with epilepsy than people living with Multiple Sclerosis, Cystic Fibrosis, Muscular Dystrophy and Cerebral Palsy combined.
* Epilepsy has no cure.
* The medications used to control epilepsy have nasty side effects.
* Often, epilepsy cannot be controlled, even with meds.
* At least 1 million people in the U.S. have uncontrolled epilepsy.
* 1 in 25 children under the age of 5 will have a febrile seizure (fever related).
* You can die from epliepsy. Risk of SUDEP (Sudden Unexpectant Death In Epilepsy) kills about 1,000 people each year. Another 42,000 die secondary to prolonged seizures, or Status Epilepticus.
* People don't swallow their tongues during a seizure. Please PLEASE never stick anything in a person's mouth during a seizure. Learn More About Seizure First Aid HERE.
* Seizures suck. There is no silver lining on this. Sorry.
This has been a Purple Day Public Service Announcement on behalf of CB and the 62 million individuals world wide living with epilepsy.
Thanks for reading!