Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Weekend Wrap-Up: Partying Like A Mutha'


So, this Mother's Day weekend, we had our typical full docket with the girls and their sports. But, the  POURING rain cancelled all three travel soccer games on Saturday! It was a Mother's Day Miracle! Sunday night swim was cancelled too, because the coaches have a heart for Moms. So what did that mean? All the annoying stuff (a-hem, I didn't say that) was OFF and all the fun stuff was ON like Donkey Kong!

My Mother's Day gift came early. It was a special night out with the girl who made me a Mom.
Friday night we had CB's 10th Anniversary Reunion Prom. 



When I got the invitation in the mail several weeks ago, I was so happy that I almost audibly squealed with delight and jumped up and down. At first, I thought maybe she got the invitation by mistake. She did graduate last year, after all. But, after checking with the school, I learned that for this 10th anniversary, all alumni were invited back. 


This invitation made my year. Seriously. I haven't blogged about how difficult things have been since she graduated. Life had been very stressful since she graduated. She was totally out of control for many months and was without any program or supports. Things have improved immensely over the past few months, and this prom was kind of like a little celebration of how far we've come. 



Her prom has always been a really special night for us. It's the ONE night where CB and I can do a mother-daughter thing together without ANY stress. Dr. Fabulous missed her Senior Prom last year, because he unfortunately had to travel for work, so I was stuck with (a-hem, I mean hanging out with) my ex and his girlfriend for her final prom without my man. Mildly awkward, but fine. We're all good, so it's really no big deal. 

While I truly enjoyed having her biological Dad there to share her special night every year, selfishly speaking I really loved having just one prom with just me and Dr. Fabulous. He is such a loving and involved step-dad, but when her bio dad is with her, he really tries to respectfully stay to the side and let them have their time.  


But tonight, they could hang out like usual. 





I cannot explain how excited CB was when she walked into the prom and saw so many familiar faces. She doesn't have the language ability to understand where we were going and who we would see, so it just hit her all at once when we arrived. She started rocking back and forth with vigor, yelling "ELLOH! ELLOH!" which is her version of "Hello" and what she was taught to say during her 18 years of circle time at school.






She never stopped smiling the entire night. Smiling and squealing and laughing and jumping up and down and swinging herself around like she was being attacked by a swarm of bees (that means she's super excited and happy, by the way). I mean, she was totally freaking out, but the reason I love this night is because no one cares. We're all the same here. Everyone "gets" it. No one is judged. No stares, only smiles. I was seriously laughing so hard all night long. 



Her aides were there. Old teachers were there. Administration was there. Kids she probably recognized were there, but she shows no interest in her peer group. She did, however, react to all the staff who came up and hugged her and talked to her. She made her rounds, visiting multiple tables, plopping herself down and stealing everyone's water. I enjoyed seeing all the staff almost as much as she did. They were part of my family for many, many years. I sincerely missed them. 
I know she did too.







***********


Saturday we got to lay low due to all the cancelled soccer games. The downpour finally let up in the late afternoon, and I had a fun Girls Night Out with friends, eating Indian food and drinking wine. Although I stayed up a little too late, I got to sleep in, uninterrupted, on Mother's Day. 
I awoke to the smells of breakfast cooking.


Breakfast was mostly Pink's handy work: a homemade pink fizzy drink, a Taylor ham, egg, and cheese sandwich, and loads of fruit. Dr. Fab ran out early that morning to get me my favorite coffee, because breakfast isn't complete without a good cup of Joe.


And, I got my annual Mother's Day picture. Yay! 
It's a rare occasion when I'm in a photo with all four girls. It's never the best picture of all time, but I'm always grateful if everyone is (sorta) looking at the camera and looks relatively clean. I had to crop out Rella's bare feet in this picture because Baby Girl has something against shoes. 



I also found a four-leaf clover ON Mother's Day. That has to be symbolic of something. Perhaps some extra luck? 


Since CB had a seizure later that night, I'm thinking the luck may not have kicked in immediately. 

Hope all the Mommas out there had a very Happy Mother's Day! 





1 comment:

William Hurt said...

I really liked your Information. Keep up the good work. Short Prom Dresses

Related Posts with Thumbnails