Sunday, December 14, 2008

We Can't Let This Bank Fail! Blogging Out Hunger

When I heard about the "Blogging Out Hunger Day" to raise awareness and support for the food banks of New Jersey, I jumped at the opportunity to participate! Supporting local food banks has been an important part of giving back to my community over the past five years, and I relish the opportunity to increase awareness of the growing need throughout New Jersey and our country.

One out of every five New Jersey families does not earn enough to afford the basic necessities – housing, food and child care – although 85% of these households have at least one family member who is working. At the Community Food Bank of New Jersey requests for food have gone up 30 percent, but donations are down by 25 percent. In fact, it is reported that warehouses are so poorly stocked that at the Community Food Bank of New Jersey, they are developing a rationing system for the first time in their 25 year history! I noticed myself that the food drive I organize with a local MOMS Club was not as successful this year as it was last. Last year, we donated 310 pounds of food, while this year it was a bit over 100. I felt like we were successful and was very grateful to all who participated, however I couldn't help but notice that participation was down in a year where it was much needed.

Please, consider donating food, money, or your time to your local food pantry of food bank. No one should ever go hungry in a country so rich with food and resources.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails