Friday, February 26, 2010

A 6-Word Memoir


Ernest Hemingway was challenged (likely a bar bet) to write a short story in exactly 6 words. He came up with this:

For Sale: Baby shoes, never worn.

How brilliant is this man?!?!

Apparently, Hemingway's "6-word story" inspired the editors of Smith Magazine to compile the 6-word memoirs of many writing talents.

A story was aired about this memoir project on National Public Radio. The compiled 6-word memoirs can be found in the new book entitled: Not Quite What I Was Planning: Six-Word Memoirs By Famous and Obscure Writers. They are really interesting to read!

Since I love a challenge, particularly a writing challenge... I HAD to come up with my own 6-word memoir. The key is, you're not supposed to over-think it... it loses some sincerity. But, as usual, I had to go through several drafts...

So, what could I write that would summarize who I am in this world... the totality of my short, but full life? I came up with a few renditions:

First came my smart-ass responses:

Without humor, it all basically blows.

What the F* is this sh*?

Seriously, don't know what I'm doing.

Then I go for the literal, especially after these past 3 days:

I'm knee deep in pooh, literally.

Then the loopy:

I don't send bad food back.

One big experiment on sleep deprivation.


She didn't drink the Kool Aid.

Then my brooding self surfaced:

Dreaming the dreams, but never delivering.

Life devoted to correcting past mistakes.

Heart always there, soul sometimes lost.

Then it started to get more 'genuine' to me:

Different than I imagined, but better.

Deserving of nothing, grateful for all.

And, after much silly brainstorming , I finally decided that this one probably says it all. My life... my memoir... in a 6 word nutshell.

Plan B was better than expected.

Want to take a stab at it too?
quote ernest hemingway Pictures, Images and Photos

14 comments:

Tina said...

This brilliant! Bad thing is I could pound out a page...but it would take some thought to write 6 words! How sad is that.
Here is the best I can do this morning.


Sold As Is, Absolutely No Return.

Elizabeth said...

I just don't know anything anymore.

erin said...

I don't send bad food back speaks volumes.

I also don't send bad food back. But then, that's not six words.

Alicia DiFabio said...

If I was describing ME, not my life as a whole, I WOULD absolutely use "I don't send bad food back" because that just encapsulates "me."

In fact, my husband will describe me to people who haven't met me yet as: "Kind, sometimes to a fault; totally clueless; and the type of person that will eat the wrong order instead of sending it back to the kitchen." :)

Jennie said...

I've been thinking about this for a while, and haven't quite succeeded. I like this, but think it describes most moms:

I was one thing, now another.

I wrote this description of my husband the other day:

Very smart. Bad at loading dishwasher.

Tina said...

....been thinking about your post all day!

I got another one....

Two parts vodka, one part lime.

Tanya @ TeenAutism said...

I love your final one, but I thought the sleep deprivation one was also fitting!

cameramom said...

Creativity encouraged, improvisation is the key.

Kim said...

Love the last one! Great post.

blackknightsbrood said...

I like Plan B.


I can name that tune in 5 -

"Is it Happy Hour yet?"

Mama Deb said...

Love it!
Your first one is definitely where my mind would go first as well.

Adrian said...

I like this word "Deserving of nothing, grateful for all."

These words really motivated, great posts!

オテモヤン said...

オナニー
逆援助
SEX
フェラチオ
ソープ
逆援助
出張ホスト
手コキ
おっぱい
フェラチオ
中出し
セックス
デリヘル
包茎
逆援
性欲

Cinda said...

Absolutely brilliantly inspiring. Learning is painful but so necesssary.

Related Posts with Thumbnails