Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Running Bamboo


My To Do list is much like running bamboo.  No matter what I do to trim it, tame it, hack away at it, it just keeps multiplying and spreading like wildfire.  At the end of the day, I feel like I was the busiest person on the planet, yet entirely unproductive... staring at a To Do list that seems to have grown offshoots. 

So I start off the day with an extensive list and plan and here's basically what we get done after Rella's vision/audio screening and a quick morning work out... 





...because the cell phone was ringing with Carlie's school then the Title Insurance people for refinancing the house and next thing you know I have to drop everything and find a fax machine because my scanner wont work and then a note comes in from Tink's school saying she didn't perform "Within Normal Limits" on her vision test so gotta follow up with the eye doctor. 



I get a letter from Rella's O.T. evaluation requiring a follow-up call with insurance... none of this is on my actual list, but is eclipsing my list so that at the end of the day, I have done a bunch of stuff, but nothing on the "Official List O' Things" gets the almighty "Check Off." 

There's more, but it's all pretty boring and probably not much different than anyone else's story.  We're all in the same boat.

I don't know, I guess the best thing to do is just roll with it.   

On a brighter note, we joined a gym so for the first time in 4 years we can actually exercise and prioritize our health.  Well, I've been running, but running without "cross training" is just a recipe for injury, especially at my age.  I'm glad to have the options of classes and weights, although I went yesterday for the first time and what did I do?  Run on the treadmill for 45 minutes.  


I guess my workouts are imitating life.  Running on a treadmill... trying to outrun the wild bamboo.

2 comments:

kario said...

This is why mothers are more qualified for any job than anyone else - we possess the ability to be flexible beyond all reason and shift our priorities as necessary. One day when I was feeling particularly overwhelmed by my never-ending To-do list, my girlfriend had the idea for us to exchange lists with each other for a few minutes. I went through hers and she went through mine and we crossed off the things (in pencil) that seemed wholly unnecessary. She made a note next to one thing that I could have Bubba stop on his way home and get 'x' and from that moment on, I was able to see my list with fresh eyes and avoid putting things on there that didn't really need to be done.

What a great mom you are! I think you ought to prioritize continuing to take and share photos of those lovely girls you've got. That makes my day every time.

Alicia D said...

kari,
love this idea! i wish you were my neighbor -- i think i'd be a better person if i could bounce things off of your calm and centered self! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails